(Compulsive Skate Buyers Anonymous)
Hi, my name is Matt and I’m a compulsive skate buyer.
I have been rolling on and off for 10 years this August and I have bought quite a few pairs of skates in that time. I stopped rolling for about a year and started up again in late 2008. Since then I have been buying skates like there was absolutely nothing better to spend my money on.
I think I can boil the reason for this down to 2 things.
- Like a little kid in Christmas day, I like the excited feeling you get when you order a new pair of skates, wait in anticipation for them to arrive, and the magic moment when you open the box.
- I love all skate products, but skates in particular. I like looking at them, trying different skates out and investigating skate technology and innovations.
I’m not proud of my habit, I know i have wasted so much money on skates I didn’t need.
What I’m about to do is going to be painful, but I think I need to do it to show myself just how much money I have wasted on this expensive habit.
Below is a list of skates I have bought since late 2008 and, to the best of my memory, what I paid for them.
- Remz 08 team- $500
- Deshi carbon black- $400
- Xsjado farmer 3- $300
- Xsjado Dw1- $300
- Remz os3- $350
- Deshi Carbon black/white-$350
- Valo eric Bailey- $500
- Razors SL Aragon 3- $400
- Remz Chris haffey 2.0-$300
- USD carbons- $350
- Xsjado setup-$200
- Valo soichiro kanashima- $300
- Remz 09 team- $500
- USD carbon 2- $400
- Razors Genesys 7.3- $380
Total cost $5530
Considering 4 pairs of skates over the last 2.5 years would have been more than sufficient, I have wasted approx $4000 at a minimum.
I think it’s time to quit this habit……